The COVID-19 pandemic that has taken the world by storm has unleashed a host of many other health problems in people, which adversely affects our daily lives. One of the major problems we have observed in these past few months has been hair loss in men and women.
So we decided to take this opportunity to answer our patients’ frequently asked questions here.
Why are hair loss cases increasing in this COVID-19 pandemic?
The most common reason is stress. People are experiencing a lot of distress because of the virus. Stress is one of the major reasons for hair fall. The reasons for stress vary from person to person. Some reasons could be:
- With Covid cases increasing every day, people fear about the potential health and financial consequences if they contract the infection.
- People are losing jobs and financial instability is a major cause of concern.
- Business is low and many of them have shut down. People are unable to pay off debts and EMIs.
- Vitamin D deficiency due to decreased sunlight exposure may also be another reason for hair loss.
- People try out multiple hair remedies taking tips from internet which damages the hair further.
- Increase in cases of physical and emotional abuse during lockdown period.
- Corona virus related deaths of loved ones.
Having listed the above coronavirus stress related causes for hair loss, there are many other general reasons for hair fall like auto immune disorders, major illness, side effects of medicines, pregnancy or post pregnancy hair loss, deficiency of vitamins, diet or any other medical condition.
What can you do to prevent hair loss?
You can do the following things reduce hair loss:
Visit a dermatologist to rule out any specific cause for hair loss. Disha Skin and Laser Institute in Thane, India, has a team of renowned dermatologists and offers the best services in skin and hair at an affordable price. They follow a strict protocol and take maximum safety measures for patient’s safety.
At home, you can do the following things to reduce stress:
- Follow a daily exercise regimen. If you cannot go out for walks, workout a routine at home.
- Meditation is a great way to relax and unwind yourself.
- Doing breathing exercises like pranayama considerably reduces stress and anxiety levels.
- Spend quality time with family. Play board games, watch movies together and keep a general air of positivity around the house.
- Diet plays a very important role in prevention of hair loss. Eat a well-balanced diet of protein, vitamins and carbohydrates. Your diet should consist of milk, eggs, pulses, green leafy vegetables, fruits and whole grain foods.
- Maintain good hair hygiene. Wash your hair regularly with a good shampoo, condition it, use a scarf to cover hair when going out in the sun and keep it free of lice and dandruff.
- Drink enough water, around 2-3 liters every day and hydrate yourself.
If hair loss persists, visit your dermatologist at Disha Skin and Laser Center where the condition will be assessed and you will be administered the best treatment with great results.